Convenience Stores (konbini, コンビニ)
Everything You Need in One Store!
Visit the one closest to your place and if possible, choose 7-11. Enjoy checking out their products, high quality yet reasonably priced. Convenience store is like Japan in miniature.
- Over 50,000 convenience stores in Japan.
- The best chain, by far, is 7-11. Why? Their sales per day is #1 and by a big margin. (Over Y665,000 per day on average, or about USD6000 vs the others at about USD5000).
- About 17,000 7-11 in Japan (over 30% of total) and their group company also owns Ito-Yokado (supermarket), restaurant (Jonathan, etc.), Department store, etc, their merchandising power is superb. They have a strong buying power, leading to a lot of attractive private brands.
What should you try?
- Try their onigiri/rice balls. You can tell that they really put a lot of effort into making it special.
- Their ready-to-eat, cooked instore `korokke` (croquette), `oden` (winter speciality), `nikuman` (Chinese meat buns) are all very delicious and cheap. You will find them right next to the cashier.
- Moreover, they basically sell everything you need and more. Use their ATMs to withdraw cash. Use their clean toilets, for free. WIFI is free.
Here is what I bought today: ¥988 (10 US$)
Onigiri rice ball with salted salmon, salad (lots of fiber), Okinawa dish (tofu, pork, vegetable, etc.), Croquette and frozen fried rice (simply put it in your microwave, our favorite!).
Link to their home page below:
— セブン‐イレブン・ジャパン (@711SEJ) 2017年10月6日
9月29日は #洋菓子の日 🍰
— セブン‐イレブン・ジャパン (@711SEJ) 2017年9月28日
Enjoy! It`s really convenient!
Read More Articles: Column
1 Avoid the crowd in Kyoto 2 TOJI-hidden away but you will be overwhelmed! 3 CHISAKUIN- beautiful, […]
Visit Tokyo`s `Quartier Latin`, with a lot of universities, unique music and instrument stores. Very few tourists […]
Come and enjoy the freshly made Japanese street food! Feel the traditional nostalgia of old Tokyo. This […]
You may have wondered why there are so many senior citizens in Japan. Why is Japan`s population […]
Have you ever wondered why the toilets in Japan are so different to those that you use […]
Visit the one closest to your place and if possible, choose 7-11. Enjoy checking out their products, […]
1 Adventure World in Shirahama- great for family and kids. 2 Basic information on Adventure World in […]
Sure, there are tons of places to shop. But, if you are looking for one-and-only, hand made […]
There are lots of Sushi restaurant in Japan and you are spoilt for choice. But for […]
1 Japanese animation 1.1 “Your Name” by Makoto Shinkai 1.2 Site visits for “Your Name” 2 Ghibli […]